Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 6




My little trooper post needle trauma.













It's sad that they even make gauze with butterflies on it.



















Bruised already.
Posted by PicasaSo today was our 15 month well baby visit (10 AM). Little did I know it was going to be a two hour ordeal. Our doctor wanted Carter to have some blood drawn to test for anemia (it's a long story as to why). So being the good patient, I agreed. We went down to the lab (11:00) and had two technicians attempt to draw blood from each arm (stick #1 and stick #2). They didn't want to torture us any longer and sent us down to the pediatric clinic (11:30). There we saw a nurse who "had drawn blood three times today on infants with no problem". Sigh. She stuck him in his hand (#3) and wiggled that needle around for at least 20 minutes with very little blood drawn. She then thought, its the tourniquet he doesn't like, let's try without it (stick #4) other hand, approx. 5 minutes before he ripped it out. It was about this time (12) that I had to call Tom
for backup, I was physically tired from restraining this 15 month old baby for an hour but emotionally, I was DONE. Luckily, I caught Tom before his flight so he was able to help. The final stick (#5) was in his foot, for approx 5-10 minutes, again, with very little blood drawn. And we called it a day (12:20). She did say "the lab will call you if we didn't get enough blood." Ugh, are you kidding me?

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Oh gosh.. sounds horrible! Sorry Carter and Mommy :)